EU Blue Card

EU Blue Card

The EU Blue Card is a residence title for high qualified academics.

If you

  • hold a German or a foreign higher education qualification which is recognised or otherwise comparable to a German higher education qualification and
  • have a job offer with a salary not less than 58.400 € per year (2023).
    As mathematician, scientist, engineer or IT-specialist the minimum salary is reduced to 45.552 € (2023), but the Federal Employment Agency will check if the salary is adequate for this position.

The recognition of a higher academic qualification can be evaluated on the website ANABIN. In the case that your degree is not listed in this database you can apply an individual examination at Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (Central Office for Foreign Education).

A recognition in a regulated profession (such as doctors) needs a professional permit issued by a state authority. You can find the responsible authority at

The visa application for an EU Blue Card can be made at the German missions abroad. In the case that you have a legal residence status and receive a job offer that qualifies for an EU Blue Card during your stay in Germany the Blue Card can be issued by the local immigration office.

The EU Blue Card will be issued for four years, max for the duration of your job contract plus 3 months. During the first 2 years the residence title is tied to your employer.

As holders of an EU Blue Card you qualify for an indefinite settlement permit after 33 months if you have language skills on level A1. If you can proof language skills on level B1 you can apply for a settlement permit after 21 months.

As Spouse and minor child of a Blue Card Holder you have the right to get a residence permit with working allowance even if you cannot proof language skills.

Our expert in this field is Specialist Lawyer for Immigration Law Sven Hasse.

68 Bewertungen auf

5.0 von 5 Sternen

diese Seite in deutsch